Filipinos who wish to work or who are already abroad will need secure certain documents to support their right to work overseas. This is where the OWWA membership comes in. Aside from tracking our fellow kababayan working all over the world, the OWWA is the dedicated agency that protects and upholds the rights of OFWs wherever they may be across the globe.
But just like any membership programme, there is a corresponding fee to be paid in order to avail the OWWA membership. You can undertake the membership process either upon the processing of your contract via the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency (POEA) or through voluntary registration at designated job sites abroad.
Applying for an OWWA Membership in Singapore
As mentioned, the OWWA looks after the welfare of OFWs and this includes the provision of social benefits to our kababayan in the event when repatriation is inevitable or any untoward incidents occur. Furthermore, the social benefits of an OWWA member extends to his/her immediate family as detailed on the OWWA website.
- Your original and valid Philippine passport
- Your Singapore work visa (EP, S-Pass, or Work Permit Card)
- A duly accomplished printed copy of the OWWA Information Sheet available on-line under the “Labour Forms” section.
- Membership fee of S$36.00
- Your original contract of employment (and a photocopy of the document to be submitted)
Tip: Bring the original above listed documents and two (2) copies of each for your application (in case copies are required)
- Proceed to the Philippine Embassy in Singapore and notify the staff on duty that you are going to apply for an OWWA membership. The staff will then provide you with a number for your application. Make sure that you have all the requirements on hand. Wait for your turn to be accommodated.
- When your number is called, you will be asked to go to Window 4 for the submission of your documents and for the membership payment. If you are able to provide all the necessary documentary requirements, your membership may be issued and obtained on the same day.
Philippine Embassy in Singapore
20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258359
Opening Hours: Mon- Fri: 9am-12pm and 1pm-3-pm only.
For your questions and/or concerns, you may contact or email the embassy through email@example.com.
More than the benefits and identification, registering for an OWWA membership ensures you and your family that your rights will be protected and upheld by the Philippine government where there are instances of threat or abuse wherever you are in the world. Certainly, this is one of the things that you need to consider if you wish to work abroad on your own and away from your family.