Filipinos in Singapore will need secure certain Philippine documents to support their right to work overseas. This is where the OWWA membership comes in. Aside from tracking our fellow kababayan working all over the world, the OWWA is the dedicated agency that protects and upholds the rights of OFWs wherever they may be across the globe. Applying for an OWWA membership is one of the first things you need to accomplish if you want to become an OFW in Singapore.
Still, once you’re here in the country, there’s a simplified (digital) process on how to book an appointment for your OWWA membership renewal/application, which you will learn as you go through the rest of this guide.
But just like any membership program, there is a corresponding fee to be paid in order to avail of the OWWA membership. You can undertake the membership process either upon the processing of your contract via the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency (POEA) or through voluntary registration at designated job sites abroad. And if you’re already here in Singapore, member application/renewal can be done at the Philippine Embassy. Another good news is the process has become much more straightforward since application is done by first booking an appointment online.
- How to Book an POLO-OWWA Appointment in Singapore Online
- What to Do on the Day of Appointment:
- When Inside the Embassy:
- Contact Information
- Google Map Location
- How to Get to the Philippine Embassy in Singapore via Public Transport:
- VIDEO: Applying for OWWA Membership in Singapore
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Applying for OWWA Membership in Singapore
The OWWA looks after the welfare of OFWs and this includes the provision of social benefits to our kababayan in the event when repatriation is inevitable or any untoward incidents occur. Furthermore, the social benefits of an OWWA member extends to his/her immediate family as detailed on the OWWA website.
As mentioned, social benefits are also offered to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs). These include financial assistance, repatriation services, personal loans, as well as scholarships, among others. That said, becoming an OWWA member is a must for every OFW. And if you’re already based overseas, say in Singapore, then membership renewal is a necessity for you. In this guide, we list down everything you need to know about this process, from requirements, processing guides, costs, as well as frequently asked questions about the topic. Keep reading until the end to learn more.
How to Book an POLO-OWWA Appointment in Singapore Online
Gone were the days when walk-in applications were the norm in most government agencies, OWWA included. Now, the only way to avail of this service via the Philippine Embassy in Singapore is by booking an appointment online. Even if you are not tech-savvy, the OWWA has made this procedure quick and straightforward to follow, so be sure to read it until the end.
If you’re ready to learn how to do this, you’ll need a laptop or any mobile device with internet connection as well as a Gmail or a Google account. In just a few easy steps (eight, to be exact) you can readily book an appointment for your OWWA membership application at the Philippine Embassy. So take notes and get ready to accomplish this task in just a few clicks!
Step 1: Schedule an appointment online by clicking this link:
Step 2: Sign in to your Google Account.
Step 3: Enter your active e-mail address.
Step 4: Download a copy of the OFW Information Sheet.
Step 5: Input your personal information (Surname, First name, Middle name & mobile number)
Step 6: Pick your preferred appointment time and date.
Step 7: Confirm the schedule you’ve selected.
Step 8: Click ‘Submit’. Check your registered email for a notification/confirmation message.
Note: OWWA Singapore has announced that application and renewal of POLO-OWWA membership will be strictly BY APPOINTMENT ONLY for the time being.
- Your original and photocopy of valid Philippine passport (must have 6 months validity)
- Original and photocopy of your Singapore work visa (EP, S-Pass, or Work Permit Card)
- A duly accomplished printed copy of the OWWA Information Sheet available online under the “Labour Forms” section.
- Here are the additional documents to be submitted by skilled and professional workers:
- Certificate of Employment
- Photocopy of Employment Contract
- Your Company ID with Company Registration Number/UEN/RCB.
- Latest Payslip
- Meanwhile, household service workers (HSWs) must provide a copy or proof of their employer’s identity.
What to Do on the Day of Appointment:
On the day of your appointment, you need to ensure that you have secured all of the above-mentioned requirements for your application. Be sure to arrive at the Philippine Embassy in Singapore at least 30 minutes before your scheduled time.
When Inside the Embassy:
- Present your Work Pass ID as well as the copy of your email appointment at the reception beside the guard post. After doing this, the officer at the reception will hand you a queue number for your appointment inside. Wait for your turn in the holding area. Once it’s your turn, you may then proceed to Window 1A or 1B for the submission of your member requirements. The officer will review to see if you have correctly submitted all the requirements. Once your documents have been verified, you need to prepare S$36 to pay for your application. Do note, however, that the Philippine Embassy will only accept CASH payments.
- OWWA membership is valid for two (2) years from the payment date, even if the member decides to change employers or workplace.
Philippine Embassy in Singapore
Address: 20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258359
Opening Hours: Mon- Fri: 9am-12pm and 1pm-3-pm (except public holidays).
Telephone Number: +65 6737 3977 ext. 134
Mobile number: +65 8186 3549
Schedule email: email@example.com
Google Map Location
Below is a map guide to the location of the Embassy of the Philippines in Singapore where you can visit the POLO office for the OWWA renewal application:
How to Get to the Philippine Embassy in Singapore via Public Transport:
- Via Taxi: You can tell the cab driver to bring you to the Philippine Embassy in Nassim Road. Most drivers in Singapore already know this location.
- By train: Taking public transportation shouldn’t be an issue. You can take a train ride at Orchard MRT, get off at Orchard station, then exit Shaw Centre. From here, you can walk towards Orchard Road. After you reach Orchard Tower, turn left at Nassim Road. Walking from this point to the embassy should take you only five minutes. This short walk (roughly about 600 meters) will take about 15 minutes.
Note: Sleeveless or slippers are not allowed. Instead, wearing a collared shirt is advised. Also, you shouldn’t wear any pieces of jewellery if your photos are taken.
VIDEO: Applying for OWWA Membership in Singapore
Here’s a short video of a Filipino working in Singapore who renewed her OWWA membership at the Philippine Embassy. She shared her experience in renewing her OWWA membership at the embassy. As per her feedback, the entire process only took her less than 30 minutes. She added that her experience was a pleasant one because the process was very systematic and was completed without any hitch. Watch this video for some tips and the step-by-step process of applying for an OWWA membership in Singapore.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Applying for OWWA Membership in Singapore
1. Can I book an appointment even when I’m working?
With the changes made in the application process, where things are now done digitally, you can now book an appointment for OWWA membership application/renewal by sending a scheduled appointment at POLO-Singapore via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Are there any other costs that I have to pay when applying for an OWWA membership?
You might be thinking of what else you need to pay to get your OWWA membership activated, especially in a foreign country. But the good news is, other than the OWWA membership fee of only S$36.00, there’s no other payment that you need to settle. So whether you just have enough money on you for the application – that’s alright. You don’t have to settle anything else at the Philippine Embassy for this particular visit.
3. How long will my OWWA account be active?
For the average OFW, the OWWA membership is something you need to religiously settle (every two years) to ensure that you get to enjoy the member benefits from this government agency. That said after you renew your OWWA membership, your member account will be active for two years.
4. Can I also renew my OEC in Singapore?
Yes, you may also renew your OEC in Singapore, but you have to do it by booking an OEC appointment via the BM Online Processing System. By this virtue, you should also know the steps in applying for an OEC in the country.
More than the benefits and identification, registering for an OWWA membership ensures you and your family that your rights will be protected and upheld by the Philippine government where there are instances of threat or abuse wherever you are in the world. You do not want to miss out on the benefits of being an OWWA member, not to mention the protection and services you can maximise from the Philippine Embassy that you can definitely enjoy in the long run and for as long as you choose to work overseas. Your OWWA membership is one of the things that you need to consider if you wish to work abroad on your own and away from your family. The good thing here is that the process has been made much simpler, straightforward, and hassle-free to all working Filipinos based in Singapore.
READ NEXT: Important Benefits of being an OWWA Member