As OFWs, we are required to possess certain documents in order for us to gain legal employment and to receive protection and benefits as Filipino citizens working overseas. One of which is the OWWA Membership.
Even before anyone could travel and work abroad, the government will require them to apply for OWWA membership for the reasons mentioned above. But if you’re already based abroad, say in Singapore, there are certain things that you need to consider when renewing your OWWA membership.
Renewing Your OWWA Membership in Singapore
To make the process faster and more convenient, you will no longer be given a card when you renew your OWWA membership. You will only be issued a receipt that you need to keep.
When am I supposed to renew my OWWA membership?
There are three circumstances when you will be required to renew your membership:
- Your passport has been renewed
- Your work visa (EP, S-Pass, or Work Permit Card) has expired.
- You have changed employers
Note: If you have just renewed your passport, and your work visa is about to expire this year, then you will need to have your OWWA membership renewed along with your work visa, and pay the $42 membership renewal fee. This is because work visas in Singapore need to be renewed on a yearly basis.
- Your Philippine passport
- Your work visa/pass/permit (EP, S-Pass, or Work Permit Card)
- Note: Work Permit Card holders will need to secure their Original Employment Contract as part of the membership renewal requirements.
- A completely filled-out printed copy of the OWWA Information Sheet available online. Check out the “Labour Forms” section.
- Membership fee of $42.00
Tip: Bring the original above listed documents and two (2) copies of each for your application (in case copies are required)
- Visit the Philippine Embassy in Singapore and inform the officer on duty that you are going to renew your OWWA membership. The officer will then provide you with a priority number. Be sure to have all the required documents on hand. Wait for your number to be called.
- Once your number is called, you will be asked to proceed to Window 4 for the submission of your requirements and payment of the membership fee. Provided that you have all the documents required, your membership will be renewed and will be ready for collection on the same day.
Philippine Embassy in Singapore
20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258359
Opening Hours: Mon- Fri: 9am-12pm and 1pm-3-pm only.
For other queries or concerns, you may email the embassy through firstname.lastname@example.org.